TIPS for STRUGGLING READERS
There are many different ways to encourage our struggling readers to continue reading and to be successful at their reading. Read the ideas below of ways at home you can encourage your reader!
1. Read aloud to them.
2. You read it, they read it back to you.
3. Let them choose what they want to read.
4. Make it a game! Time them to see how fast they can read in a given amount of time. But remember, even though they may read fast we want to be reading fluently and accurately!
5. Use the suggested websites on the links page for extra practice!
6. Go over the graded weekly comprehension quizzes that come home each week. This is GREAT test prep!
- Fry Instant Word List
- Question Stems
- Repeated Readings
- Paired Readings
- Reading Comprehension Tips for Parents
- Everyday Reading Comprehension Activities for Kids and Parents
- Education.com - Teacher Tricks to Improve Reading Comprehension
- Online reading comprehension games
- Blue Ribbon Readers - Reading comprehension games